The image in this page was built from scratch and using my imagination. I created the basic shapes (also known as primitives) and loosely positioned them on the canvas
Next, I created a ‘skin’ in Adobe Illustrator for the decals you can see on the mixer, and applied that to the main shape. Then I created icons for the tops of the rotary dials and the mixer faders and again, applied those individually to each component.
I then added the type and extruded it, before modifying each component to show a state of glass, shiny metal, plastic and also bevelled glass.
Then I created the wires at the back of the unit and applied a plastic look to those also.
I also had to light the scene which took me a few attempts to make it look realistic and get the highlights and shadows where I wanted them. I also created a secondary scene, and added much warmer lights and using a layer mask, removed the parts I didn’t need and which emphasised the reflections on some of the rotary knobs.
The very last part of this project saw me rendering the final image and importing it into Photoshop. In there I modified the main mixer output lights to make them look more realistic using an overlay layer, blur and saturation.
Finally, I realised that any good mixer would have ‘feet’ for balance and shock absorption. I created a foot, placed it on one corner accurately and then duplicated this and copied to the other corners. Adding the feet allowed me to ‘lift’ the mixer from the floor plane and give it a little more depth and sense of height.